When you first lay eyes on Lofoten, Norway – your jaw will drop. This stunning archipelago will capture your imagination and satisfy your desire for out-of-this-world landscapes. Jagged peaks line the fjord's edge where generations have fished since Viking times. We'll explore surreal beaches and rugged coastal mountains, honing our landscape photography skills during this eight day trip. Few other locations can provide better foregrounds for northern lights photography. This trip is for outdoor shooters in search of rugged and unique landscapes, diverse travel subjects, authentic accommodations and a dose of hiking adventure.
14. October – 21. October 2018
8 days / 7 nights from/to Svolvaer
minimum 4 – maximum 8 guests
Svolvaer – Henningsvaer – Sakrisoy – Haukland – Svolvaer
- Wide variety of subjects and scenes, from sweeping nordic beaches and mountain top views of the fjords to fascinating fishing culture and spectacular Northern Lights.
- Day hikes to amazing photo perspectives with mountains and fjords extending into the distant background.
- Short on-site lessons to discuss composition and technical strategies, with opportunities for one-on-one photography coaching as well.
- Staying in authentic Norwegian fisherman cabins (Rorbuers) surrounded by fantastic scenery.
- Assistance with editing your best shots in Adobe Lightroom from Matt, who is a certified Adobe expert.
Autumn Auroras & Landscapes in Lofoten
14 – 21 October, 2018
Day 2 - October 15th
After breakfast at the hotel, we'll do a mini-clinic on using graduated filters and long-exposure filters before heading out to get some hands-on practice. Weather permitting, we may do a hike near Solvaer and/or a sunset/blue hour shoot near Henningsvaer. If the night skies are clear we'll hit the road in search of northern lights.
Day 3 – October 16th
Depending on our success the previous evening, we may opt for a sunrise shooting opportunity near Kabelvag. After a nice breakfast, we'll likely head to Uttakliev for some Arctic beach scenes followed by an afternoon photowalk around the scenic fishing village of Henninsvaer. As always, we'll have an eye on those night skies after wrapping up with dinner.
Day 4 - October 17th
After a sunrise photo opportunity near Kabelvag we'll strike off for another hike, gaining enough elevation to see the fjords and mountainous landscape from a different angle. After a day on the trail we'll head back to our accommodation for a well deserved meal. If we're lucky, we may get a chance for northern lights nearby in the Kabelvag area.
Day 5 - October 18th
After breakfast we'll be departing Kabelvag and heading west to Sakrisoy – our basecamp for exploring the islands of Flakstadøya and Moskenesøya. We'll make a stop off along the way, checking out scenic Nusfjord along the way. After checking in, we'll likely do some afternoon exploring around Sakrisoy and Reine followed by a blue hour shoot from the hilltop above town.
Day 6 – October 19th
There are many charming waterfront cabins which make for great long exposure and panorama subject matter near Sakrisoy. As the sun gets low we'll take advantage and if the weather doesn't play along we'll have an editing and feedback session back at our home base. High likelihood of evening aurora hunting!
Day 7 – October 20th
On our last full trip day, we'll eat a hearty breakfast and pack our lunches for a day's excursion to Kvalvika which is a stunning beach on the Norwegian sea. After returning from our adventure we'll relax, eat and download our last pictures, finishing our last night with a group slideshow to celebrate the Lofoten experience.
ACCOMMODATIONS & ACTIVITIES
Participants of our Autumn Auroras & Landscapes of Lofoten Photo Tour will enjoy charming, authentic accommodations in rustic but well-appointed fisherman's cabins (called "Rorbuers" in Nowegian). Our locations have been chosen to give participants easy access to great scenery – right outside their door.
You will be amazed by the diversity of photographic subjects in Lofoten. From stunning landscapes with fjords and dramatic granite peaks, to surly fishermen and the maritime/fishing culture – there's a surprise around every corner. We'll head out for several short hikes, finding fantastic vistas of the fjords and peaks and make stops along the way to some of our favourite beaches and fishing harbours.
YOUR TOUR LEADERS
MATT AND DAGMAR ANDERSON
Matt and Dagmar Anderson are a husband-wife team who co-direct the Viewfinder Center in Zurich, Switzerland. They are passionate photographers with chronically itchy feet, and their business is built on helping others develop their photographic skills and creative instincts. In recent years, Matt and Dagmar have become fascinated with the unique landscape and culture of the Lofoten Islands Archipelago. In 2018 they will return to Lofoten with a small group of adventure seekers for an unforgettable creative travel experience.
Autumn Auroras & Landscapes in Lofoten
14 – 21 October, 2018
8 days / 7 nights
Price per person in a private bedroom with shared bathroom
INCLUDED IN THE PRICE
- Photographic support and guiding from Matt & Dagmar Anderson
- 7 nights of accommodation (shared basis) in authentic rorbuer-style lodges
- Airport pick up and drop off at Svolvaer airport
- All transport during the trip is provided via private bus
- All hotel breakfasts as well as packed lunches
- Lightroom support for those who'd like help
NOT INCLUDED IN THE PRICE
- Flights to/from Svolvaer, Norway
- Dinners and drinks during the trip
- Additional transfers, excursions or ferry rides which are not listed on our itinerary.
- Any visa fees, travel & cancellation insurance fees, or other cancellation costs.
Send us a non-binding enquiry or book directly using the application form
- A complete trip itinerary (including names of all accommodations) will be provided to registered guests two months before the trip start date.
- We'll provide a packing list for the trip, which includes clothing recommendations as well as camera equipment suggestions.
- This trip does involve some easy hiking (up to 8 km - round trip). Guests are always welcome to stay behind and photograph the scenery closer to our accommodation if they wish to have a more restful day.
- The temperature in Lofoten varies widely in October, from 1º–16º C. Participants should be prepared for varying weather conditions.
- Guests should be equipped with high-quality hiking boots, good rain protection and a comfortable backpack for carrying camera gear, extra layers, lunch and a thermos or water bottle.