Hear what Jessica had to say after participating in our 2015 Advanced Photography Study program.
To master a craft such as photography it’s been said that a student must invest 10,000 hours in learning new skills. At the Viewfinder Center we agree that “practice makes perfect” but we also believe that focused, high-quality, hands-on learning experiences are invaluable to photography students.
By diving into seven units of learning, students of Viewfinder’s Advanced Photography Study master a variety of camera skills and techniques – taking them from intermediate shooter to advanced photographer. Graduates leave the program with a portfolio that demonstrates their ability to solve difficult technical and creative problems. From shooting fast-action sports and portrait subjects to photojournalism and landscape photography – this program will challenge the photographer who’s ready for more. Roll up your sleeves and go beyond the basics in this exciting ten month program.
- Evening class sessions once per week in Zurich
- Monthly off-site practice shoots with instructors
- Group review sessions following shoots
- Individual assignments completed outside of class
- Written instructor feedback on each assignment
- Maximum nine participants, minimum five.
- Matt Anderson with support from Susi Venditti, Elaine Yager and John Faber.
- Viewfinder Center, Stampfenbachstrasse 157, 8006 Zurich
- Off-site shooting locations around Switzerland
Content & Prerequisites
Unit 1: Advanced Exposure Control
Unit 2: Digital Developing & Printing
Unit 3: Creative Composition
Unit 4: Studio Lighting & Portraiture
Unit 5: Fast-Action Sports
Unit 6: The Picture Story
Unit 7: Photographing the Landscape
- Confident with beginner camera skills such as those learned in Digital Photography 1-2-3 Course
- Currently using Adobe Lightroom to import and organise photography
- Short, informal enrolment interview at the Viewfinder Center
Program Info Nights
Viewfinder hosts information evenings at our Zurich studio for those who interested in finding out more about this exciting program. Join us by registering for one of the free information nights listed at the top and bottom of this page. We look forward to meeting you and answering any questions you may have.
The program has been an incredible and intense journey. We were thrown out into the photography world: photojournalism, sports photography, working with models, landscape & wildlife photography. You'll be amazed at the diversity of images you'll produce by the end of term. I'm ready to start some photography work now and maybe even turn it into a living. but I will really miss the joy of working with my Advanced Study buddies!
I joined to extend my "photographic vocabulary” and learn the techniques to better express my ideas. That is exactly what this class is about. We spent a little time in the class room, learning the necessary theory and a lot of time in the field putting it into practice. Lots of fun was had on a number of excursions. If you are serious about your photography and want to take it to the next level, then this is the right place for you.